Friday, July 16, 2010

The move begins

I am very sorry but updates will be sporadic at best for the next few weeks. Packing and moving are easy to say, and if I were single or even married without kids, this might be a different kind of endeavor. However, I not only have to pack with and for my kiddos, I have to referee while they try to do as much as they can. EG wants to get rid of everything so there is less stuff to keep clean and so that she can share her things with other kids who need them. TD wants to keep almost everything that has ever had any sentimental value to her. LH wants to sort, and sort, and sort, and be in charge of telling her sisters what to do. You can guess things don't always run smoothly.

The minute I get packing somewhere else in the house, they start in with the bickering and yelling. I have to break it up before blood is drawn, although I would much rather let them duke it out. Also, DH is working from home a few days a week, and that means as little noise as possible. He takes help desk calls just like he is at work, so letting the dog bark, doors slam, or kids scream is a big no-no. Several times I have sent the kids outside or told them to take a break just because they were getting noisy. So, things are not moving as fast as I would like, but they are moving steadily in the right direction.

We have learned from our past mistakes from the last several moves and since we have the time and the bodies to do it right, we are making sure that we fix our past errors whenever possible. For instance, we have 9 years worth of school papers and art work that needs to be streamlined. I want to keep memories and important things, but I really don't need (or have space for) every worksheet, spelling test, and math practice that three girls have done since pre-school. We are keeping several frame-worthy pieces of art work as well as samples of their progression throughout their education. We are getting rid of about 75% of what's left over.

Anyway, I have to go pack boxes, referee children, and of course, clean house and keep cleaning house and clean more house along the way.

I will post more details about where we are moving as I am able to figure them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment